Saturday 11 August 2012

My first lightning talk

The tech-talks at work have fallen by the wayside since they no longer have an "owner" so during their downtime I've been arranging lightning talks as they're far more informal and take a lot less time to arrange.

My first talk in front of an audience at work was during these first run of lightning talks. I was joined by four colleagues: Daniel, Mike, Mark & Charlie (blog) who talked about:
Bundler, Sketch algorithms, Fictionary, CAP theorem & Riak

Deciding to be a bit cute I chose the subject of "Speed" for my first lightning talk and aimed to address the issue of choosing a language for a given project based on the ability to learn it, write it, execute it, run it & fix it.


Speed from James Doig on Vimeo.

Five minuets is not a long time and that is quite an in depth subject, well you live and learn and hopefully it will serve as a good warm-up for my full length Clojure talk in a couple of weeks.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers mate... the port from Wordpress to Blogger was not so smooth.
      There's no Markdown support (that I can find) and the line endings got pretty messed up in places.

      Delete